I do think it has to be the most asked question of all time. Ever since corruption entered this world, ever since people began to have different thoughts than the people around them or differing thoughts from the One who created man. The question comes in many different ways: What do you mean? What does that mean? What is the meaning? These questions are asked simply when one is not understood when they make a statement or pose a question. It is asked during tragic times during ones life when nothing seems to make any sense. However, it is also asked when things are going so well that you begin to wonder if there could possibly be more than what is shown on the surface of the situation.
Living in what is called a postmodern culture and the philosophy that carries its name, the question is constantly asked. Of course it is either asked in vain or existentially. In such a worldview nothing can have true meaning in the absolute sense. While Postmodernism is a worthy topic to 'blog' about, it should not be the subject of this particular posting.
The question that I heard most growing up, some have said is the million dollar question of life’s most important question. "What is the meaning of life?" Of course it would seem that each individual asked would answer this question differently. There are of course many groups, religions, and worldviews that would answer this question in a very similar way.
The nihilist would of course say there isn’t any meaning other than to live and die. There isn’t even much emphasis on the living part. The naturalist would likely give an answer to achieving a progressive knowledge that has been evolving over time to a better and better human being. We would see some humanist thoughts in this with achieving the best for your self or for the common good. The outlook on life may be an existentialist approach would of course transcend the nihilism but the atheistic side is of course naturalistic.
Back to the meaning. What is the meaning? If there is a meaning of life, which I am sure that there is. Then there is a meaning to each thing that happens in our lives. Isn't there? If our lives have significant meaning, if there is a purposeful goal or a cause to our existence would there be much meaning in between? Would each decision we make, every heartache, every trouble, every joyful time, every thing we do, have some sort of consequence on our future decision in how we handle ourselves? I have heard hard times explained this way: "while it seems like a gigantic rock weighing you down now, it will be a stepping stone to who you are in the future."
That sounds nice! still doesn't answer what does it all mean.
I must say, I do like, and am very partial to the theist approach to meaning. While I do appreciate the sciences, and the philosophies of the ancients, I do believe the Theist gives the most hopeful answer. There is a God. This God is Omnibenevolent, with Omniscience, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent. This God created us. We have a beginning, He does not. Everything that has a beginning has a cause. We have a beginning, therefore, we (who have beginnings) have a cause. This good ol' Kalaam Cosmological Argument does certainly carry its weight.
Our cause, this would be our meaning.
I do believe I need more time to think on this.
Sunday, March 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment